Providence Health & Services CNA- Long Term Care in Seward, Alaska
Providence is calling a Certified Nursing Assistant/Shahbaz (Long Term Care, Variable Shift, 0.6 FTE) to Seward Mountain Haven in Seward, Alaska. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
• ELDER CARE: Demonstrates understanding of and carries out individual elder care according to Green House® Philosophy of Care and the Elder Care Plans. Assists elders with personal care functions including: dental and mouth care, bathing, dressing and grooming, hair care, nail care, shaving, bowel and bladder care, and other personal and hygiene care. Uses techniques taught in facility orientation and individual programs established for all elders. Assure all elder calls for assistance are answered promptly. Assists with the application of slings, elastic bandages, binders, etc. Promotes autonomy of elders in decision-making.
• REPORTING/DOCUMENTATION: Measure and records vital signs, weights, bowel records, meal and fluid intake, admission paperwork, and other required documentation clearly. Reports changes observed in elders to the Nurse in a timely manner. Maintains personal inventory of elders.
• PERSONNEL: Works with new Shahbazim and with Shahbazim unfamiliar with routines. Make Guide aware of needed re-training. Communicates with coworkers at all levels to meet needs of elders. Meet with the CST as scheduled or needed to discuss elders’ needs and progress in identifying and correcting problems.
• Assists with and/or performs restorative and rehabilitative procedures as outlined and assigned by the care plan and with appropriate training. Provides range of motion exercises as outlined and assigned by the care plan and with appropriate training.
• Assists with transporting of elders to activities, therapies, and clinic as needed.
• Assists with moving, positioning and transporting elders into and out of beds, chairs, bathtubs, wheelchairs, lifts, etc. Maintains a lift-free environment by utilizing the lift systems provided in the houses.
• Prepare and serve meals, between meals, bedtime and other nutritional snacks per posted menu and stated preferences of the elder. Responsible for following all food safety rules (ServSafe), monitoring and documenting refrigerator, freezer and dish machine temperatures.
• Keep all areas of the home clean, performing routine housekeeping duties. Make occupied and unoccupied beds and change bed linens. Launder clothing, linen and other articles.
• Maintains confidentiality of all elder medical and personal information or elder and facility financial information obtained while performing the duties of the job and from anyone who does not have authorized access to such information.
• Follow established safety precautions and observe, monitor and intervene in or report to the Guide any unsafe conditions. Report accidents and incidents when they occur. Report any elder abuse or suspected abuse to the Guide immediately.
• Completes Competency Plan for assigned job and department.
• COORDINATOR ROLES:
• Team Coordinator: The Team Coordinator acts as a liaison between the team, families, volunteers, community members, and all other caregivers, including the CST, Guide and the Sage. Will arrange team meetings, notify the team, other caregivers including the CST, Guide, and Sage of meeting times and dates. Draft and post an agenda (for additions to be made from peers) for each team meeting. Will track attendance, lead the meetings, and note all decisions made by the team. Are responsible for communicating team decisions to team members and to others as needed.
• Food Coordinator: The Food Coordinator is responsible to organize and conduct the weekly menu planning meeting, coordinate ordering of food, assure adequate supplies, monitor freshness of the food, and oversee kitchen compliance issues including cleanliness. Will oversee compliance with record keeping, food storage, and temperatures. Will check the refrigerator to verify all food is dated and labeled and that any outdated food is discarded. Will be responsible for monitoring appetites, food intake of elders, obtaining and recording weights as outlined by the CST or as identified per provider order. Will be responsible for having meetings with the Dietitian to review the menus and communicate weight loss and food concerns to the nurse and appropriate members of the CST.
• Housekeeping Coordinator: The Housekeeping Coordinator is responsible to coordinate housekeeping activities and monitor the cleanliness of the Green House® on a daily basis. Will order necessary supplies, observe and record information about the overall cleanliness of the house. Will coordinate and monitor the laundering of household and personal items of the elders. Will also ensure a system is in place and maintained to assign housekeeping tasks and identify any issues or assignments for other Shahbazim.
• Scheduling Coordinator: The Scheduling Coordinator is responsible to create the Shahbazim work schedule for the house in collaboration with the team that provides adequate coverage while meeting individual Shahbaz needs, as best as possible. Will be the point of contact for a team member out ill or unable to work as scheduled. If a Shahbaz is unable to work a scheduled shift, it will be the responsibility of the individual Shahbaz to find a replacement. If the Shahbaz is unable to do so, they will notify the Scheduling Coordinator. If the Scheduling Coordinator is unable to do so, they will notify the Guide. Will post the schedule on the house bulletin board and submit it to the Guide in accordance with organization policy.
• Care Coordinator: The Care Coordinator, using subjective and objective data collection tools, works collaboratively with the RN Team Advisor and the Care Coordinator to monitor the team’s compliance with care plans and team’s effectiveness at meeting the care needs of the elders. The care coordinators work in collaboration with the RN Team Advisor to schedule care planning meeting and will attend those meetings or coordinate with other team members to ensure that an alternate Shahbaz will be present to contribute to the discussion. Will report to the nurse regarding changes in the care needs of the elders during daily elder updates with the nurse on duty and as necessary.
Required qualifications for this position include:
High school graduate or equivalent
Successful completion of Green House® Philosophy of Care, Caring Reliably, Culinary Training, ServSafe, Dining Assistance, and Alaska food handlers’ card within 4 months of hire
Current State of Alaska Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) certification
New CNA graduates and candidates that hold a current, unencumbered nurse assistant certification or registration from another U.S. state must obtain the State of Alaska certification within 4 months of hire
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 4 months of hire
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- 6 months experience as a nurse aide, nursing assistant or personal care attendant in long term care or hospital
About Mountain Haven
Providence Mountain Haven is the first Green House® home in Alaska, which is includes 4-lodges, each with 10-Elders. Teams are self-managed, have consistent staffing, and have strong patient to caregiver ratio. Caregivers typically have 5:1 patient ratio and work 12-hour shifts. Nestled against Iron Mountain, in Seward, AK, it is a great home for Elders to live out their later years! http://alaska.providence.org/locations/psmh/Pages/default.aspx
About Providence Seward Medical Center
Providence Seward Medical and Care Center is a 6-bed critical access hospital and 40-bed long term care facility providing quality health care to residents and visitors. Our team of physicians, nurses, and support staff deliver compassionate, quality care to all patients. We care for the patients ranging from infants to the elderly with services including, primary care, emergency, inpatient, swing bed, lab, radiology, therapies and nursing home care.
Located only 125 miles south of Anchorage on Resurrection Bay, Seward offers a small community feel and access to a multitude of world class outdoor activities such as kayaking, fishing and hiking.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services guided by a Mission of caring the Sisters of Providence began over 160 years ago. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Certified Nursing Assistant
Req ID: 241111