Providence Health & Services Life Engagement Assistant in Seward, Alaska
Providence is calling a Life Engagement Assistant (Inpatient Activities, Day Shift, 1.0 FTE) to Providence Seward Medical Center in Seward, Alaska. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
• Under supervision leads Elders activity program:
• Facilitates coordination effort with Elders and staff on planning and scheduling various activities such as: large group, small group, one on one, special events and community outings.
• Ensures planned activities target gender and functional levels of residents.
• Structures and organizes monthly activity program schedule of events.
• Continually reviews Elders interest and recommends individual activities.
• Assists with duties performed by volunteers in coordination with management staff.
• Participates in direct Activity Programs:
• Under supervision, plan and implement specific activity programs keeping the interests of the Elders in mind. Adapt groups to meet the individual needs of Elders with varying degrees of physical and mental abilities. Assist with program development; Assist with volunteer supervision.
• Maintains confidentiality of all Elder medical and personal information or Resident/facility financial information obtained while performing the duties of this job to anyone who does not have authorized access to such information.
• Maintains and cleans activity areas is alert to questions, hostile and combative behavior, medical emergencies. Responds in a fire or emergency situation, performing the role assigned.
• Attends mandatory in-services required of all facility employees annually as well as Continuing education.
• Provides Elders activities in both one-on-one, and in small group settings according to Activity care plans.
• Participates in outings as assigned.
• Assists Elders to social and recreational activities (arts/crafts, parties, entertainment). Helps in carrying out activities and encourages Elder to participate in activity; Preparation as well as actual activity.
• Recognizes and reports any significant changes in physical, mental or emotional well being of the Elder to the appropriate shabaz or nurse on shift.
• Attends specialized training on working with (ADRD) individual, specifically on providing activities as indicated.
• Promotes good mental health by encouraging and assisting Elders to socialize with each other and to maintain contacts with family and friends.
• Documents daily attendance and participation level.
• Implements individualized activity care plans; Respects the rights of Elders, provides privacy and maintains confidentiality.
• Maintains awareness of accident prevention practices and provides a safe environment.
• Implements care/services that recognize age/diversity specific needs/issues of Elders served.
• Assist with Elder Council and House Meetings.
• Organizes and structures timely delivery of mail to Elders.
• Assists with transportation related to activity program needs of Elders.
• Completes Competency Plan for assigned job and department.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
Related college degree
Certified Nursing Assistance License
Experience in a health care, wellness/fitness or therapeutic recreational setting
About Mountain Haven
Providence Mountain Haven is the first Green House® home in Alaska, which is includes 4-lodges, each with 10-Elders. Teams are self-managed, have consistent staffing, and have strong patient to caregiver ratio. Caregivers typically have 5:1 patient ratio and work 12-hour shifts. Nestled against Iron Mountain, in Seward, AK, it is a great home for Elders to live out their later years! http://alaska.providence.org/locations/psmh/Pages/default.aspx
About Providence Seward Medical Center
Providence Seward Medical and Care Center is a 6-bed critical access hospital and 40-bed long term care facility providing quality health care to residents and visitors. Our team of physicians, nurses, and support staff deliver compassionate, quality care to all patients. We care for the patients ranging from infants to the elderly with services including, primary care, emergency, inpatient, swing bed, lab, radiology, therapies and nursing home care.
Located only 125 miles south of Anchorage on Resurrection Bay, Seward offers a small community feel and access to a multitude of world class outdoor activities such as kayaking, fishing and hiking.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services guided by a Mission of caring the Sisters of Providence began over 160 years ago. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Patient Services
Req ID: 241091