Providence Health & Services RN - Long Term Care *On-Call* in Seward, Alaska
Providence is calling a Primary Care Registered Nurse ( Long Term Care Center, Variable Shift, 0 FTE) at Providence Seward Mountain Haven in Seward, Alaska. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
• COMMUNICATES closely with the resident and their family. Provides the Primary Nurse's name card to each family/resident to promote direct access to their contact person. Keeps the resident/family informed of needs or changes.
• SUPERVISES overall resident care for a specific group of elders within scope of practice according to licensure. Communicates and obtains elder updates from Shahbazim and facilitates shared problem solving, decision making, and planning on each elder from the Shahbazim during each shift.
• ADMINISTERS medications and treatments and provides direct licensed nursing care for a specific group of elders on a given shift.
• CONTACTS other members of the Clinical Support Team as needed. Completes physician orders, insuring diagnosis, or condition with each order. Evaluates justification for each medication as medically necessary, coordinates efforts to reduce medications. Refers to nursing/social worker intervention prior to gaining an order for a psychoactive medication. Consults Resident Care Coordinator for possible plan of care actions prior to requesting medication or calling the physician.
• COLLABORATES with all other healthcare professionals as needed for service for appropriate residents. Observe and report significant findings to other healthcare professionals.
• ASSESSES residents within the scope of practice according to licensure and documents findings.
• UPDATES the care plan as changes take place and reviews the care plans changes with the Shahbazim.
• NOTIFIES the physician and/or nurse practitioner of resident changes of condition and receives orders. Upon a change of condition, will maintain close communication with the Resident Care Coordinator for further assessment. Resident Care Coordinator will determine if the change of condition needs further changes related to MDS.
• In collaboration with the Resident Care Coordinator and the Shahbazim Care Coordinator, leads the elder care conferences.
• Acts as a clinical resource. Role models person-directed care, facilitates team members, including elders, Shahbazim and families, in shared problem-solving, decision-making, and planning. Participates in the orientation and training of new staff.
• COMPLIANCE: Direct and administer assigned functions to ensure high quality, cost effective elder services which meet or surpass survey standards. Assure adequate preparation for, and participate in regulatory compliance surveys.
• Demonstrates awareness of human and elder rights's in all aspects of care, treating each elder and co-worker with respect and dignity.
• Seeks to expand personal professional growth by individual study of current information related to current nursing techniques and Long Term Care specialty issues. Attends meetings and in-services including mandatory and interdepartmental in-services as assigned. Performs other related duties as directed and assigned.
Required qualifications for this position include:
• Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing.
•Current Alaska Registered Nurse license.
• Current Basic Life Support (BLS) card must be from American Heart Association (AHA) upon hire.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
• 6 months Nursing experience in a health care facility (acute care, long term care, rehabilitation center).
• Supervision/leadership experience.
About Mountain Haven
Providence Mountain Haven is the first Green House® home in Alaska, which is includes 4-lodges, each with 10-Elders. Teams are self-managed, have consistent staffing, and have strong patient to caregiver ratio. Caregivers typically have 5:1 patient ratio and work 12-hour shifts. Nestled against Iron Mountain, in Seward, AK, it is a great home for Elders to live out their later years! http://alaska.providence.org/locations/psmh/Pages/default.aspx
About the Ministry
Providence Seward Medical and Care Center is a 6-bed critical access hospital and 40-bed long term care facility providing quality health care to residents and visitors. Our team of physicians, nurses, and support staff deliver compassionate, quality care to all patients. We care for the patients ranging from infants to the elderly with services including, primary care, emergency, inpatient, swing bed, lab, radiology, therapies and nursing home care.
Located only 125 miles south of Anchorage on Resurrection Bay, Seward offers a small community feel and access to a multitude of world class outdoor activities such as kayaking, fishing and hiking.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Long Term/Transitional Care Nursing
Req ID: 322211